Discounted Vermont Walking & Hiking Tours for 2020!
The Early Bird, Early Season Special
You asked, and our wonderful community of innkeepers has again delivered. We are pleased to offer six weeks of a substantially-discounted self-guided hiking/walking trip staying at our clients’ favorite inns and enjoying some of the best-loved trails in Vermont. Read on for dates, inns, meals, routing, and other details.
- Because of the special nature of this discount, dates and inns are pre-arranged. We will still furnish a menu of several hiking options each day, so you can challenge yourself with distance, elevation, and terrain, or take it easy on woodland walks, or do some of each. You can decide each morning on-tour. All tours are four nights with a Sunday afternoon arrival, three or optionally four days of supported hiking, and a Thursday departure.
Available 2018 start dates are Sundays, May 13, May 20, May 27, June 3, June 10, and June 17.Dates for 2020 coming soon!
- Sunday: Arrive at Fox Creek Inn in Chittenden for afternoon check-in, and relax to the gurgling sounds of the stream babbling near the front porch. Dinner, overnight, served breakfast and packed brown-bag hiker’s trail lunch at the inn, a well-appointed lodge where backwoods luxury abounds.
- Monday: Hiking near Fox Creek — perhaps Deer Leap or Sherburne pass for views, or Leffert’s Pond for some wildlife viewing. When you’re done hiking, drive on a short distance to the “Art and Soul Village of Vermont, historic Brandon. Dinner tonight is on your own / off package / out of pocket. The inn is the heart of the town, and village eateries are within an easy sidewalk stroll (or take your car further afield). Overnight, served breakfast and packed brown-bag trail lunch at The Brandon Inn, the landmark of the village, hosted for more than 25 years by a delightful international couple who know and enjoy the trails in the adjacent National Recreation Area.
- Tuesday: Today you can enjoy (if you wish) the magical experience of arriving at your next inn on foot, as you traverse the southern half of the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area [daily shuttle service is included in your package]. If you prefer something else, Rattlesnake Cliff offers views, and Mount Independence will get you out of the forest and into the Champlain Valley, with easier walking trails. Dinner, overnight, served breakfast, and packed brown-bag trail lunch await you at Blueberry Hill Inn, a secluded hilltop retreat surrounded by thousands of acres of conservation land and miles of hiking trails.
- Wednesday: Again, several options, but the most common request is to set out from Blueberry Hill on foot and traverse the northern half of the Moosalamoo National Recreation Area on your way to Chipman Inn. Dinner, overnight, served breakfast, and packed brown-bag hiker’s trail lunch are furnished at this 1828 home perched high in Robert Frost Country, with gracious mother-and-son innkeepers.
- Thursday: Today is departure day, and hiking is optional. Support is provided in the form of a hiker-to-trailhead shuttle if you’d like a one-way hike, or take a loop around Texas Falls and/or the Robert Frost trail, or head to Middlebury to explore the Trail Around Middlebury that weaves in and out of a cosmopolitan college village.
Included: three dinners (Sunday, Tuesday, Wednesday); four overnights (Queen room or room with two beds if you prefer, private bath, non-smoking inns); four served breakfasts (Monday through Thursday); trail descriptions sent to you in advance; detailed maps distributed on-tour by the innkeepers; a hiker-to-trailhead shuttle to enable one-way hiking for four days (Monday through Thursday); four brown-bag hiker’s trail lunches to take with you into the forest (Monday through Thursday); housekeeping and waitstaff gratuities; Vermont meals and rooms tax at 9% or 10% depending on the town. Out of pocket expenses are limited to items of a personal nature including alcohol, and one dinner (Monday night in Brandon — on all but the very earliest dates, one of the top restaurants in Vermont is open and a two-minute stroll from the inn).
Special 2018 Package Pricing, for SIX WEEKS ONLY on Sunday starts May 14 through June 18: $645 per person double occupancy / $1290 total for two guests in one guestroom for four nights, or single-occupancy (one person to a private room) at $845 per person. Pricing for 2020 is coming soon!